Pepas [pay-pas] are essentially sugar cookies with a little dollop of quince jelly on top and are the most popular cookie here in Argentina. Everyone has their preferred brand of pepas but after today, mine is “homemade.” They’re pretty easy to make and leave hardly any dishes to clean, and are a great addition to your Christmas buffet.
I learned the recipe on one of the morning talk shows in Argentina, Qué Mañana. This is the video of how they make it, if you speak Spanish, or if you can get past all the chachara (chit-chat):
They don’t supply a recipe other than the ingredients, so I’ll do you a favor. 🙂 These pepas are made with quince jam, which is very common here, but feel free to use another flavor.
Time: 45 minutes
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup quince jam or preferred flavor
- Place dry items in a circle on a clean counter. Put all the wet ingredients into the middle of the circle.
- Mix the wet ingredients well. Gradually mix the dry items into the wet.
- Add extra flour as needed to create a smooth cookie dough.
- Split the dough in half. Unroll plastic wrap and place a half onto the wrap. Make sure the dough is at least a little bit rolled and then wrap the plastic wrap around it. To see how Ariel does it, fast forward the video to 5:30.
- This will sound weird, but pet the dough until it is stretched into a long cylinder with a diameter of about 2 inches.
- Do this for both halves of the dough. Tie each end of the plastic and put in the freezer for about 5 minutes.
- Take out the dough and immediately slice into 1.5 cm thick discs.
- Place the dough onto greased cookie sheets. After dipping a thumb into water, press into each cookie about half-way to create a little space for the jam.
- Put the jam into a plastic baggie and cut a small hole in the corner. Use this to fill the holes on the cookies with jam.
- Cook the cookies in a preheated oven of about 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until the bottoms of the cookies are golden brown.
Pepas de membrillo
Tiempo: 45 minutos
- Manteca 250 gr.
- Azúcar 250 gr.
- Huevos 165 gr.
- Esencia vainilla c/n
- Ralladura de limón 1/2 u.
- Harina 500 g.
- Polvo de hornear 10 gr.
- Dulce de membrillo c/n
I hope you get a spark of inspiration to create this beautiful little masterpieces and enjoy them just as much as I do!!